The Pre-School curriculum at Hope Lutheran is a mix of organized learning activities, constructive play, crafts, and physical activity. Your child is sure to grow in our enriching environment. This class is taught by Mrs. Shannon Harmston, and is open to fully potty-trained students who will be 3-years-old by September 1.
Shannon is currently working on her bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Child Development. She has been working with and teaching children of all ages for almost a decade. What makes Shannon’s class special is her view on Intentional Teaching, combined with her love of bringing “real-life” experiences to her classroom. While students are learning about different subjects, she invites working professionals from the community to demonstrate their skills and share their knowledge. For example, a fireman might visit while the children are learning about fire safety, a baker when learning about cooking, or a police officer when learning about obeying the law. Shannon is also trained and certified in Culinary Arts. She shares her variety of skills with the children in different cooking activities in the classroom, from learning how to pick and wash vegetables to baking muffins.
In her spare time, she loves to read fiction and play games. She also loves to be outside as much as she can when the weather is nice in the summer. One of her favorite activities is to float down the local rivers.
Enrollment Is Open!
Apply today, space is limited.
Pre-School Program Details
- 3 years old by September 1
- Completely potty trained
- Milk provided daily, snack is rotated among the parents of the class.
Readiness Skills Developed in the Pre-School Program
- Bible stories showing God’s love for us
- Daily prayer
- Is able to show forgiveness to others
- Shows kindness and caring for others
- Listens attentively
- Follows directions
- Uses materials correctly
- Completes activities and values his/her work
- Likes to look at books and pictures
- Can put pictures into sequence
- Recognizes basic words
- Recognizes upper and lower case ABCs
- Recognizes letter sounds
- Recognizes his/her name as well as others in the class
- Uses adequate vocabulary
- Speaks plainly
- Recognizes likeness in words
- Can work with puzzle pieces
- Can throw and catch
- Can hop/skip/jump
- Can balance on one foot
- Can move creatively
- Can use toys/equipment safely
- Holds crayons and markers correctly
- Can balance on one foot
- Uses glue appropriately
- Can use scissors
- Can zip/button
- Recognizes their numbers
- Sorting sizes, shapes, colors
- Stacking blocks
- Uses position words correctly
- Claps, sings, and can move to rhythm
- Participates in our Early Childhood Christmas program